December 18, 2008
Foundation - The purpose of foundation is to even out the skin and conceal blemishes, dark circles and imperfections. Invest in the best foundation you can buy. Please keep in mind that price should not be a determining factor, if a cheaper brand has your color go for it. When looking for a foundation it is color that matters most.
· Light/Sheer – Sheer coverage is lightweight and provides little to almost no coverage. A sheer coverage will be very subtle and can go unnoticeable. The object of this coverage is not to conceal but to enhance.
· Medium – Medium is what most women go for, noticeable coverage to even out skin as well as to conceal blemishes and imperfections.
· Heavy –Heavy coverage will cover any imperfection on the skin, the makeup itself will be thick or you can apply multiple layers (build up) your makeup to give you his effect. I believe unless you are a performer or doing some type of work with heavy lighting (TV, Stage, ect..)you dont need this. The makeup is very thick and heavy. Think of it like putting a blanket on your face.
Light/ Sheer Makeup- Include Tinted Moisturizers and Mouses.
How to Apply – Clean hands * Apply like you would any moisturizer, because they are sheer you may not want to use a brush or a sponge because most of your product will get left on the sponge or applicator. By using your hands, you able warm the product up with your natural body heat which will allow for the moisturizer to penetrate into your skin. Most tinted moisturizers have a SPF of 15 some have more so that is an added plus for protecting your skin.
Medium Makeup- include Liquid, Powders and Creams
How to Apply – Clean hands, makeup brush or sponge. As mentioned above using your hand will allow you to warm the makeup up, however it also will allow you to get makeup in places too small for a sponge. A sponge allows you to control the amount of product you put on your skin, although a sponge soaks up some of the product it is going to give you a lighter coverage, the same concept applies when you use a foundation brush. This is where building or layering your makeup comes in, you can keep adding until you achieve the look you looking for.
Heavy Makeup include all of the above with an emphasis on Cream/Cream Stick Foundations
How to Apply – Clean hands, makeup brush or sponge. Very few people need this type of coverage. If not done will your makeup can and will look like mask. I strongly advise against an heavy makeup application for everyday. I think that normal/medium application with the help along with a concealer usually is a enough. Keep in mind Makeup is not Magic, if you have a serious problem you need to seek a dermatalogist to help.
Mineralized Makeup - The best thing about mineralized makeup is that you can sleep in it and it does not block your pores and allows your skin to breath and it has UV protection. Mineralized makeup is all natural and is good for people with sensitve skin. The trick is finding you color and the right coverage. For women of color it is a battle finding a chemical makeup that is the right shade, well finding a mineral one is even harder. (Still looking) As far a coverage I would say light to medium.
Tips to great foundation application.
- Less is More always start off with light coverage, and build from there. Once makeup is on it is hard to take it down without starting over.
- Try putting it on with different ways to see which way works best for you. First use your hands, then try a sponge and next try a brush and see which one gives you the look you would like to have.